Obi Official Forum
Help Gaps between rope and attached colliders - Printable Version

+- Obi Official Forum (https://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Obi Users Category (https://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Obi Rope (https://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Help Gaps between rope and attached colliders (/thread-3554.html)

Gaps between rope and attached colliders - kebab_traume - 15-08-2022

Hi! Need help with a few things. First - how to avoid those gaps which sometimes appear when a rope and attached collider are in contact with another collider (there are some attached screenshots). I haven't had such an issue in previous projects but here I'm strugglyng a lot. And another question is how to make ends of a wire behave like a wire (here I have multimeters test leads and wires're not so flexible near the lead). That is similar to audiocable implementation. I saw one thread on a unity forum and one of the guys was writing about scripting particles and making them static. Not sure I understood right. Thank you!

RE: Gaps between rope and attached colliders - josemendez - 15-08-2022

(15-08-2022, 08:59 AM)kebab_traume Wrote: Hi! Need help with a few things. First - how to avoid those gaps which sometimes appear when a rope and attached collider are in contact with another collider (there are some attached screenshots). I haven't had such an issue in previous projects but here I'm strugglyng a lot. And another question is how to make ends of a wire behave like a wire (here I have multimeters test leads and wires're not so flexible near the lead). That is similar to audiocable implementation. I saw one thread on a unity forum and one of the guys was writing about scripting particles and making them static. Not sure I understood right. Thank you!

Hi!

Make sure the end of the rope is not set to collide with the collider it is attached to. This situation and the solution (use collision filtering to keep the end of the rope from colliding with the object) is explained in the “attachments” page of the manual:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manual/6.3/attachments.html

To prevent the object to freely rotate at the end of the rope, attach the rope at two points instead of just one. Just like in the real world: if you pin an object by a single point, it will freely rotate around it, but not if you pin two points instead.

Kind regards,

RE: Gaps between rope and attached colliders - kebab_traume - 20-08-2022

(15-08-2022, 01:55 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

Make sure the end of the rope is not set to collide with the collider it is attached to. This situation and the solution (use collision filtering to keep the end of the rope from colliding with the object) is explained in the “attachments” page of the manual:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manual/6.3/attachments.html

To prevent the object to freely rotate at the end of the rope, attach the rope at two points instead of just one. Just like in the real world: if you pin an object by a single point, it will freely rotate around it, but not if you pin two points instead.

Kind regards,
 Thanks for your answer, it's strange that I haven't seen any notifications. That's definitely not the colliders - I've checked before. Third image in attachments - collider on a lead, but it doesn't touch a rope. It collides with a table, but thickness parameter is 0. And the gap dissapears when attached object is grabbed even if the position of the object haven't changed. I have the same configuration in another scene - and it works perfect, but here - reallly annoying.
Could you please tell me how to attach at two points? Do i need two colliders and use particle attachment component as usual but with two colliders instead of one on the end of a rope? Thanks for your help! Appreciated

RE: Gaps between rope and attached colliders - josemendez - 22-08-2022

(20-08-2022, 08:43 PM)kebab_traume Wrote:  Thanks for your answer, it's strange that I haven't seen any notifications. That's definitely not the colliders - I've checked before. Third image in attachments - collider on a lead, but it doesn't touch a rope. It collides with a table, but thickness parameter is 0. And the gap dissapears when attached object is grabbed even if the position of the object haven't changed. I have the same configuration in another scene - and it works perfect, but here - reallly annoying.

Hi,

Try disabling collision constraints entirely in the ObiSolver component, that way you want be 100% sure collisions aren't part of the problem. If the problem persists, would it be possible for you to send the project (or a small repro scene) to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com so that I can take a closer look? I can't think of any more potential culprits for the behavior you describe.

(20-08-2022, 08:43 PM)kebab_traume Wrote: Could you please tell me how to attach at two points? Do i need two colliders and use particle attachment component as usual but with two colliders instead of one on the end of a rope? Thanks for your help! Appreciated

Just create a second ObiParticleAttachment, attaching another control point to the same collider as the first one. No need to create two colliders. You have examples of this in the "RopeShowcase" sample scene, the 3 ropes attached to the wall are kept perpendicular to it by using a couple attachments.