Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug / Crash  Particle Attachment not dragging rope along with attached Rigidbody after update
Hi there,

I released our game a while ago using an older version of Obi Rope. (This was early April 2020, although the version I used might be as old as Oct 2019).
Freddy Spaghetti:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Jt43UINMU

Everything was working fine then, but since updating to the latest version, I have an issue.

On both ends of the rope, I have 2 Rigidbodies attached using 2 Particle Attachment components.
One(right) is set to "end" particle group and the other(left) is set to "none", since when I select "start", it reverts back to none.

When Applying force to the right rigibody with AddForce, it moves as expected, although it seems to be jumping way further than it did in the previous version.
Almost as if the other rigidbody which was weighing it down a bit, has no effect anymore.

My bigger problem is that when adding force to the left rigidbody, the rigidbody itself jumps, but the rope does not move at all.

Not sure if I have provided enough info, so please let me know what else I can provide you with.

Thanks in advance.
David
Hi David,

Based on your description, seems that one of the particle attachments is not working correctly. That's the reason why applying forces on one end works, but not in the other. The fact that the particle group reverts to "none" in the attachment inspector seems to confirm this.

Attachment implementation hasn't changed at all since Obi 5.0, so I suspect the issue has to do with serialization. Try removing the conflicting ObiParticleAttachment component, and re-adding it. It should show the 2 particle groups and let you select either.

If the issue persists, would it be possible for me to take a look at the project/scene?

kind regards,
Hi Jose,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Makes sense.  I tried to change the prefab in the scene, which kept reverting back.
I just edited the prefab itself, and the change seems to have stayed.  It's now set to "start" and working!

My issue now is that the rope is jumping much further than it should.
It also seems like it's affected less by gravity when falling back down, though it might just be the extra jump height that makes it seem this way, IDK.

I'd prefer not changing it in code(force magnitude) until I know what the cause is, and that it won't change the behavior it had.
(04-09-2020, 02:08 PM)davidmulder Wrote: Hi Jose,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Makes sense.  I tried to change the prefab in the scene, which kept reverting back.
I just edited the prefab itself, and the change seems to have stayed.  It's now set to "start" and working!

My issue now is that the rope is jumping much further than it should.
It also seems like it's affected less by gravity when falling back down, though it might just be the extra jump height that makes it seem this way, IDK.

I'd prefer not changing it in code(force magnitude) until I know what the cause is, and that it won't change the behavior it had.

Hi,

Parameters that affect behavior are damping (found in the solver component, it "removes" velocity over time so it can make objects seem floaty as if underwater), gravity (also in the solver) rope mass (set in each control point for the rope path) and rigidbody mass. If these are the same after the update, force behavior must also be the same. Could you check these have been kept the same?

To the best of my knowledge, force implementation also hasn't changed in several major versions, as it's something really basic that would affect the behavior of basically everything in the engine.
Rope Mass seems to have reverted back.

I changed it to the desired value.  I also noticed that I had custom particle groups as per the control points, which probably went missing after I updated the projects Unity version.
So like you said, the issues were entirely caused by serialization.

Behavior is now back to normal!

Thanks so much for all your help!

Kind Regards,
David
Glad things went back to normal! Sonrisa