Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soil simulation
Hi I purchased Obi Cloth since it looked like a way to simulate soil displacement.

Issues I got:
- none of the samples provided is working. They are just empty scenes.
- I want to simulate soil - I need the same settigs for granular particles as you have for non granular
- I need to update terrain collider (I modify ground).

Thank you.
(26-07-2020, 06:30 PM)evi1m3 Wrote: Hi I purchased Obi Cloth since it looked like a way to simulate soil displacement.

Issues I got:
- none of the samples provided is working. They are just empty scenes.
- I want to simulate soil - I need the same settigs for granular particles as you have for non granular
- I need to update terrain collider (I modify ground).

Thank you.

Hi there,

All sample scenes have content. Just checked by downloading from the asset store. Make sure you've installed the package correctly, re-download if necessary.

ObiCloth is not intended to simulate soil. In fact, using it for this purpose is a terrible idea, since soil is mostly static (unless being deformed/compacted), while cloth is almost always dynamic. This means performance will suffer as all your terrain is being simulated, instead of only zones that need deformation. Also, Obi is a particle based simulator, as such, collision detection is fully particle based so you will run into a great deal of collision issues when trying to use it as a terrain.

Since this is the subforum for ObiFluid (not ObiCloth), maybe you intend to use ObiFluid for granular material simulation instead?

Using Unity's own terrain system and setting height map data directly is a much better, more performant way.