Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Bug / Crash  Doesn't build for latest XCode (11.4)
hello Jose, i just saw that XCode 11.6 Beta was released.

Do you know if that version has fixed the issue?
(10-06-2020, 06:59 AM)bobby Wrote: hello Jose, i just saw that XCode 11.6 Beta was released.

Do you know if that version has fixed the issue?

There are no release notes for this beta yet:
https://developer.apple.com/documentatio...s#overview

So short of actually downloading and testing it, I can't know. Today is a weird day because I must be out of office for the majority of it, but will do first thing tomorrow morning.

When a bug is fixed by Apple, they generally put the case/feedback id number next to its fix in the release notes so that you can identify what was the original bug report. This bug's id is (FB7643015), just in case someone else is quicker than me at spotting it in the release notes of a version.
Checking the original bug report, I noticed they've updated the report header. It now shows:

Quote:Resolution:Potential fix identified - For a future OS update

[Image: rscvh6m.png]

I don't know what this means exactly on terms of ETA, and I hope the "for a future OS update" part doesn't mean it is a macOS-wide bug. Probably the fix is not in 11.6, unless the report header had been updated previously and I missed it (unlikely, as I check the report almost everyday for news). I already asked them a couple weeks ago for details but they're extremely opaque and haven't given any feedback at all, past the initial "we will fix this".
(10-06-2020, 08:39 AM)josemendez Wrote: Checking the original bug report, I noticed they've updated the report header. It now shows:

[Image: rscvh6m.png]

I don't know what this means exactly on terms of ETA, and I hope the "for a future OS update" part doesn't mean it is a macOS-wide bug. Probably the fix is not in 11.6, unless the report header had been updated previously and I missed it (unlikely, as I check the report almost everyday for news). I already asked them a couple weeks ago for details but they're extremely opaque and haven't given any feedback at all, past the initial "we will fix this".
Apple is Opaque in all cases!
xcode 12 beta is released. Theres a lot of fixed issues, i wonder if it works now.
(23-06-2020, 09:05 AM)bobby Wrote: xcode 12 beta is released. Theres a lot of fixed issues, i wonder if it works now.

Thanks! The bug's feedback identifier (FB7643015) is not listed in the release notes, so I'm afraid they haven't fixed it yet. We're quite close to releasing the Burst backend, so soon enough this won't matter if you can afford to use Burst in your project. Your project will be compiled and linked without ever needing libOni.

-----
Completely unrelated though, looking trough the notes this one caught my attention:
Quote:Fixed a race condition where multiple targets using the same XCFramework could result in non-deterministic build failures. (53911952) (FB6878988)

The fact that a production-grade IDE at some point had random build failures if you referenced the same framework more than once is...wow.  Triste
(23-06-2020, 10:08 AM)josemendez Wrote: Thanks! The bug's feedback identifier (FB7643015) is not listed in the release notes, so I'm afraid they haven't fixed it yet. We're quite close to releasing the Burst backend, so soon enough this won't matter if you can afford to use Burst in your project. Your project will be compiled and linked without ever needing libOni.

-----
Completely unrelated though, looking trough the notes this one caught my attention:

The fact that a production-grade IDE at some point had random build failures if you referenced the same framework more than once is...wow.  Triste

hey Jose, im not sure what burst is, but wasn't planning to use it. Is it possible that one of the other bug fixes fixed this bug magically?
(23-06-2020, 10:24 AM)bobby Wrote: hey Jose, im not sure what burst is, but wasn't planning to use it.

Hi Bobby,

Burst is the new compiler technology Unity has been heavily investing in for the last couple years. Actually, most of the core components in Unity are being rewritten using DOTS (the collective name for ECS+Jobs+Burst). It takes multithreaded C# code and compiles it to heavily optimized, auto-vectorized machine code, making it possible to write code that's on par with or even outperforms C/C++ directly in Unity. Some resources:

http://infalliblecode.com/unity-burst-compiler/
https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.un...index.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKpyaVrby04

So we've added a Burst-based simulation engine to Obi. This gives automatic support for all platforms that Burst can compile with (including consoles), gets the engine source code available to the user, and integrates Obi tightly with Unity. You will be able to choose between libOni (the current engine, and the one that XCode chokes with) or Burst by just flicking a switch in the solver.

(23-06-2020, 10:24 AM)bobby Wrote: Is it possible that one of the other bug fixes fixed this bug magically?

Quite unlikely, this isn't a minor bug. It's a linker-wide bug affecting C++11 libs, so I'd assume that when fixed it will have its own entry in the release notes.
Well, looks like I was wrong. XCode 12 beta 1 does seem to contain the fix, according to Apple's response a few hours ago to the bug report. Haven't tested it yet.

I will do so later today. Fingers crossed! Gran sonrisa

[Image: d3KtOZj.png]
Great news!