Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Is it possible to connect a Cloth to a Rod
I'm trying to model a leaf where the middle line (midrib + petiole) is an Obi Rod and the leaf surface is an Obi Cloth.
Is it possible to attach particles from the cloth to particles in the rod? Or is there another way should try?
(11-06-2023, 02:42 PM)azazdeaz Wrote: I'm trying to model a leaf where the middle line (midrib + petiole) is an Obi Rod and the leaf surface is an Obi Cloth.
Is it possible to attach particles from the cloth to particles in the rod? Or is there another way should try?

Hi,

You can connect particles from one actor to another using the ObiStitcher component.

However, this won't work well in your case since rod particles are oriented, but cloth particles aren't. This means that the cloth particle will be able to rotate freely around all axis when attached to the rod, like a ball-and-socket kind of joint. As a result your plant will look like it needs watering :/, all leafs pointing to the ground due to gravity.

For this to work, cloth particles should also have an orientation which they currently don't so I don't think it is possible to do this as of now.

Only workaround I can think of is using a rigidbody as a sort of mediator: attach a rigidbody to a rod particle (using a dynamic attachment), then attach a few leaf particles to the rigidbody. This should take care of keeping orientation.

kind regards,
(12-06-2023, 09:31 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

You can connect particles from one actor to another using the ObiStitcher component.

However, this won't work well in your case since rod particles are oriented, but cloth particles aren't. This means that the cloth particle will be able to rotate freely around all axis when attached to the rod, like a ball-and-socket kind of joint. As a result your plant will look like it needs watering :/, all leafs pointing to the ground due to gravity.

For this to work, cloth particles should also have an orientation which they currently don't so I don't think it is possible to do this as of now.

Only workaround I can think of is using a rigidbody as a sort of mediator: attach a rigidbody to a rod particle (using a dynamic attachment), then attach a few leaf particles to the rigidbody. This should take care of keeping orientation.

kind regards,

That makes sense, thank you for explaining!