Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] How to hang a softbody using Hinge Joint?
Gran sonrisa 
I want to know how to hang a softbody rigidbody using unity's Hinge Joint component but I didn't find any example on the documentation. When I try the body falls instead of following the attached rigidbody. How can I achieve that? An example would be nice.

Thank you very much.
(26-05-2023, 11:19 PM)eduardoseitz Wrote: I want to know how to hang a softbody rigidbody using unity's Hinge Joint component but I didn't find any example on the documentation. When I try the body falls instead of following the attached rigidbody. How can I achieve that? An example would be nice.

Thank you very much.

Hi there,

You can't directly attach a softbody to a rigidbody using a hinge joint, Unity's joint components only work with rigidbodies.

You can however attach a softbody to a rigidbody using a dynamic attachment, then attach that rigidbody to another rigidbody using a hinge joint. See dynamic attachments in the documentation: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...ments.html

kind regards,
(26-05-2023, 11:32 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

You can't directly attach a softbody to a rigidbody using a hinge joint, Unity's joint components only work with rigidbodies.

You can however attach a softbody to a rigidbody using a dynamic attachment, then attach that rigidbody to another rigidbody using a hinge joint. See dynamic attachments in the documentation: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...ments.html

kind regards,
Thank you for your reply. I got the rigidbody gameObject with hinge joint linked to a rigidbody working like you mentioned. My problem is that the softbody that is attached to the rigidbody with hinge joint keeps falling with gravity instead of being attached, it has its particles attached with obi particle attachement in dynamic mode but it still acts like it wasn't attached to anything (I've attached the softbody inspector screenshot). Do you have any idea why is the softbody still falling?

(28-05-2023, 12:45 PM)eduardoseitz Wrote: Thank you for your reply. I got the rigidbody gameObject with hinge joint linked to a rigidbody working like you mentioned. My problem is that the softbody that is attached to the rigidbody with hinge joint keeps falling with gravity instead of being attached, it has its particles attached with obi particle attachement in dynamic mode but it still acts like it wasn't attached to anything (I've attached the softbody inspector screenshot). Do you have any idea why is the softbody still falling?

Hi,

Dynamic attachments work by using pin constraints. Maybe your pin constraints are globally disabled in the solver? Check under ObiSolver->Constraints->Pin constraints, and enable them if they're off. See:

http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...ments.html

Quote:Internally, dynamic attachments use pin constraints. Read the pin constraints section for a bit more info on pin constraints.

kind regards,