Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion / Idea  ObiUpdater needlessly allocates every frame
I've been having performance issues with Obi Cloth, and have been spending lots of time in the profiler to get a handle on how to improve things.

I've noticed that Obi allocates quite a lot of memory each frame - in my scene with 6 clothed characters, `ObiLateFixedUpdater` is allocating ~2.5 kb each frame. At least some of this is very easily eliminated.

`ObiUpdater.BeginStep` and `ObiUpdater.Substep` both allocate a new temporary List each time they're called. This list can be moved into a member variable to avoid the repeated allocation:

Code:
private List<IObiJobHandle> m_JobHandles = new List<IObiJobHandle>();
protected void Substep(float stepDeltaTime, float substepDeltaTime, int index)
{
    using (m_SubstepPerfMarker.Auto())
    {
        // Kick off all solver jobs:
        foreach (ObiSolver solver in solvers)
            if (solver != null)
                this.m_JobHandles.Add(solver.Substep(stepDeltaTime, substepDeltaTime, index));

// wait for all solver jobs to complete:
        foreach (IObiJobHandle handle in this.m_JobHandles)
            if (handle != null)
                handle.Complete();

this.m_JobHandles.Clear();
    }
}

`ObiSolver.Update` also does some unnecessary allocation, because it calls `Mathf.Max(params float[])`, which allocates a temporary params array. (It also accesses `transform.lossyScale` - which I think involves a roundtrip out of managed code and into the engine - three times). I've made this minor tweak:

Code:
void Update()
{
    var lossyScale = transform.lossyScale;
    m_MaxScale = Mathf.Max(Mathf.Max(lossyScale.x, lossyScale.y), lossyScale.z);
}

These changes bring my allocations down to ~1.5kb per frame, which is a good start - but far from perfect!

I really like Obi, and I'm a bit surprised to see so much `GC.alloc` action every frame. I'd love to be able to do cloth simulation without any allocations... might there be a performance pass done in the future?

Cheers!
(19-08-2021, 12:07 AM)timconkling Wrote: I've been having performance issues with Obi Cloth, and have been spending lots of time in the profiler to get a handle on how to improve things.

I've noticed that Obi allocates quite a lot of memory each frame - in my scene with 6 clothed characters, `ObiLateFixedUpdater` is allocating ~2.5 kb each frame. At least some of this is very easily eliminated.

`ObiUpdater.BeginStep` and `ObiUpdater.Substep` both allocate a new temporary List each time they're called. This list can be moved into a member variable to avoid the repeated allocation:

Code:
private List<IObiJobHandle> m_JobHandles = new List<IObiJobHandle>();
protected void Substep(float stepDeltaTime, float substepDeltaTime, int index)
{
    using (m_SubstepPerfMarker.Auto())
    {
        // Kick off all solver jobs:
        foreach (ObiSolver solver in solvers)
            if (solver != null)
                this.m_JobHandles.Add(solver.Substep(stepDeltaTime, substepDeltaTime, index));

// wait for all solver jobs to complete:
        foreach (IObiJobHandle handle in this.m_JobHandles)
            if (handle != null)
                handle.Complete();

this.m_JobHandles.Clear();
    }
}

`ObiSolver.Update` also does some unnecessary allocation, because it calls `Mathf.Max(params float[])`, which allocates a temporary params array. (It also accesses `transform.lossyScale` - which I think involves a roundtrip out of managed code and into the engine - three times). I've made this minor tweak:

Code:
void Update()
{
    var lossyScale = transform.lossyScale;
    m_MaxScale = Mathf.Max(Mathf.Max(lossyScale.x, lossyScale.y), lossyScale.z);
}

These changes bring my allocations down to ~1.5kb per frame, which is a good start - but far from perfect!

I really like Obi, and I'm a bit surprised to see so much `GC.alloc` action every frame. I'd love to be able to do cloth simulation without any allocations... might there be a performance pass done in the future?

Cheers!

Hi there!

Thanks a lot for the input! One of these (the updater list<> as a class member had been already addressed in the development branch, but I wasn't aware of the other one (Mathf.Max allocating a temporary array for any more than 2 arguments Indeciso ). Both improvements will be included.

Regularly I profile Obi and grab low-hanging fruit, however not all have been picked yet. Expect less garbage generation in upcoming releases.
(19-08-2021, 01:00 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there!

Thanks a lot for the input! One of these (the updater list<> as a class member had been already addressed in the development branch, but I wasn't aware of the other one (Mathf.Max allocating a temporary array for any more than 2 arguments Indeciso ). Both improvements will be included.

Regularly I profile Obi and grab low-hanging fruit, however not all have been picked yet. Expect less garbage generation in upcoming releases.

That's great to hear, thanks Jose!
The allocations required for the job handles returned by BeginStep and Substep are kinda "annoying". They return a new class instance every time (BurstJobHandle in the case of the Burst backend), and I see this is conceptually necessary because there are two backends and the shared interface IObiJobHandle is used. However, both those classes are so simple that I don't think this deserves an allocation each and every frame.

For my project, I added a pool for the burst job handles now, which I release before the Clear that @timconkling added. This gets rid of regular allocations and does not need much refactoring (I added a Release method to the IObiJobHandle interface). Something like this should definitely be adopted in Obi.

With this change and the others I proposed (http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum...-3251.html and http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum...-3250.html), I seem to be down to zero per-frame GC allocations for Obi.
(28-12-2021, 11:05 AM)pdinklag Wrote: The allocations required for the job handles returned by BeginStep and Substep are kinda "annoying". They return a new class instance every time (BurstJobHandle in the case of the Burst backend), and I see this is conceptually necessary because there are two backends and the shared interface IObiJobHandle is used. However, both those classes are so simple that I don't think this deserves an allocation each and every frame.

For my project, I added a pool for the burst job handles now, which I release before the Clear that @timconkling added. This gets rid of regular allocations and does not need much refactoring (I added a Release method to the IObiJobHandle interface). Something like this should definitely be adopted in Obi.

With this change and the others I proposed (http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum...-3251.html and http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum...-3250.html), I seem to be down to zero per-frame GC allocations for Obi.

Hi pdinklag,

Thanks a lot for your reports/contributions! This one and the allocation in Decimate() will certainly make their way onto Obi's codebase.

Keep an eye for them in Obi 6.3.1.