Obi Official Forum

Full Version: Cutting cluster nodes is possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
In my use case, I need to cut some of cluster nodes which is automatically created for softbodies.
For example in the image, I would like to cut the nodes in the green circled area.
[attachment=229]
How can I make this happen?
(26-01-2019, 07:49 AM)Snail921 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
In my use case, I need to cut some of cluster nodes which is automatically created for softbodies.
For example in the image, I would like to cut the nodes in the green circled area.

How can I make this happen?

Hi there!

Cutting is not currently supported, proper cutting would require remeshing which can be expensive. In your case I think you just want to get rid of clusters that "reach out" to the other side of the gap. This is also not supported currently, as we wanted to favor ease of setup over fine tuning, but over time we will add more advanced tools to control clusters. Currently clusters are created using simple distance tests between particles, you *might* be able to fine tune cluster radius so that they can't reach the other side of big enough gaps.

It might be useful to add/remove particles from clusters using the particle editor, for instance, or create/delete clusters one by one manually. We're looking into ways to allow that.
(26-01-2019, 11:31 AM)josemendez Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there!

Cutting is not currently supported, proper cutting would require remeshing which can be expensive. In your case I think you just want to get rid of clusters that "reach out" to the other side of the gap. This is also not supported currently, as we wanted to favor ease of setup over fine tuning, but over time we will add more advanced tools to control clusters. Currently clusters are created using simple distance tests between particles, you *might* be able to fine tune cluster radius so that they can't reach the other side of big enough gaps.

It might be useful to add/remove particles from clusters using the particle editor, for instance, or create/delete clusters one by one manually. We're looking into ways to allow that.
Yes, "getting rid of clusters that reach out to the other side of the gap" is the exact feature I want. 
Add/remove particle and/or create/remove cluster sound fantastic option to have but how about adding "mesh intersection check" option for initialization process?