Obi Official Forum

Full Version: rigidbody inside softbody sphere?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can an obi softbody sphere hold rigidbodies inside it, and react accordingly to forces applied by these same objects?
(29-11-2022, 12:16 AM)Milionario Wrote: [ -> ]Can an obi softbody sphere hold rigidbodies inside it, and react accordingly to forces applied by these same objects?

Hi!

As long as the softbody blueprint has only generated particles on the surface (and not the volume), I don't see why not. Having a rigidbody outside or inside a softbody is basically the same, doesn't make any difference.

kind regards,
(29-11-2022, 10:24 AM)josemendez Wrote: [ -> ]Hi!

As long as the softbody blueprint has only generated particles on the surface (and not the volume), I don't see why not. Having a rigidbody outside or inside a softbody is basically the same, doesn't make any difference.

kind regards,

Cool, just so you know, something like this 

https://gyazo.com/b00d3ec96c9d8c91462b67a242da621d

But the sphere would have softbody physics
(29-11-2022, 03:51 PM)Milionario Wrote: [ -> ]Cool, just so you know, something like this 

https://gyazo.com/b00d3ec96c9d8c91462b67a242da621d

But the sphere would have softbody physics

In this situation you will have a hard time getting accurate collision detection between the legs and the sphere particles, since in a typical setup the legs are considerably thinner than a particle. You need to take special care of making sure particles leave no gaps in between the, otherwise leg colliders will be prone to poking out of the holes in the gaps them.

Also, the thickness of the sphere is a problem. In that video, the sphere is very (infinitely?) thin, which isn't something you can get with particles as they must have non-zero volume.
(29-11-2022, 04:01 PM)josemendez Wrote: [ -> ]In this situation you will have a hard time getting accurate collision detection between the legs and the sphere particles, since in a typical setup the legs are considerably thinner than a particle. You need to take special care of making sure particles leave no gaps in between the, otherwise leg colliders will be prone to poking out of the holes in the gaps them.

Also, the thickness of the sphere is a problem. In that video, the sphere is very (infinitely?) thin, which isn't something you can get with particles as they must have non-zero volume.

Its actually pretty thick, since its made out of cubes

[Image: kVtIg1q.png]

There are no gaps in this one, might be hard to visualize

I didn't buy softbody yet but i see on the videos you can increase particle radius and overlap, maybe thats something?
(29-11-2022, 04:09 PM)Milionario Wrote: [ -> ]Its actually pretty thick, since its made out of cubes

[Image: kVtIg1q.png]

There are no gaps in this one, might be hard to visualize

Oh, in that case the solution using particles is similar. Just increase their radius after generating the softbody so that they overlap.

(29-11-2022, 04:09 PM)Milionario Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't buy softbody yet but i see on the videos you can increase particle radius and overlap, maybe thats something?

Correct, just like you can with cloth or ropes, you can change particle radius after generating a blueprint.
(29-11-2022, 04:17 PM)josemendez Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, in that case the solution using particles is similar. Just increase their radius after generating the softbody so that they overlap.

Correct, just like you can with cloth or ropes, you can change particle radius after generating a blueprint.

So it looks like it might work?

do you still have that ragdoll project i sent you, if you don't mind trying it out and creating a softbody with the ragdoll inside it? Atleast see if you can roll the rigidbody around and the ragdoll gets contained inside it.

I understand if that's too much to ask also, no problem.
(29-11-2022, 04:19 PM)Milionario Wrote: [ -> ]So it looks like it might work?

do you still have that ragdoll project i sent you, if you don't mind trying it out and creating a softbody with the ragdoll inside it? Atleast see if you can roll the rigidbody around and the ragdoll gets contained inside it.

I understand if that's too much to ask also, no problem.

Hi, so I can assume this is too much to ask?
(03-12-2022, 02:24 PM)Milionario Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, so I can assume this is too much to ask?

Haven’t had time to check this yet, sorry. If I recall correctly, the project you shared contained a passive ragdoll only (no controls) so I would not be able to test the actual setup properly anyways, just a limp ragdoll inside the sphere.

I can send you an evaluation version of ObiSoftbody for you to test this yourself, write an email to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com and I’ll send a link to it.

Kind regards,
(03-12-2022, 07:30 PM)josemendez Wrote: [ -> ]Haven’t had time to check this yet, sorry. If I recall correctly, the project you shared contained a passive ragdoll only (no controls) so I would not be able to test the actual setup properly anyways, just a limp ragdoll inside the sphere.

I can send you an evaluation version of ObiSoftbody for you to test this yourself, write an email to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com and I’ll send a link to it.

Kind regards,

That sounds great, will write you an email.
Pages: 1 2