Obi Official Forum

Full Version: Rope Zero gravity or buoyancy? Shader keywords?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, just a few questions about Obi Rope before purchasing it.

1) Does Obi Rope add any new shader keywords to the unity project? I ask because our project has already hit our keyword limit.

2) Does Obi Rope feature any type of faked gravity or buoyancy? In my case I plan to use the rope in an underwater scene, think of it like a fishing line. Where if a weighted hook hit landed on the seabed, I would want the slack in the rope to drift around (almost like the line is in zero G). I've included a crude drawing to show what I mean.

3) oh and one last question. I'm using an old version of Obi fluid (4.1), and if I were to get the latest Obi Rope, would I also have to update my version of Obi Fluid?
(20-08-2021, 02:58 AM)ObiRob Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, just a few questions about Obi Rope before purchasing it.

1) Does Obi Rope add any new shader keywords to the unity project? I ask because our project has already hit our keyword limit.

Nope. No shaders at all involved in ObiRope.

(20-08-2021, 02:58 AM)ObiRob Wrote: [ -> ]2) Does Obi Rope feature any type of faked gravity or buoyancy? In my case I plan to use the rope in an underwater scene, think of it like a fishing line. Where if a weighted hook hit landed on the seabed, I would want the slack in the rope to drift around (almost like the line is in zero G). I've included a crude drawing to show what I mean.

Yes, gravity is fully adjustable and you can add per-particle external forces -such as buoyancy- yourself. Most of the time just using high velocity damping (you can find this setting in the ObiSolver component) yields a pretty convincing underwater effect.

(20-08-2021, 02:58 AM)ObiRob Wrote: [ -> ]3) oh and one last question. I'm using an old version of Obi fluid (4.1), and if I were to get the latest Obi Rope, would I also have to update my version of Obi Fluid?

Yes, from the FAQ:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/faq.html

Quote:How do I install several Obi assets (eg. ObiCloth and ObiRope) together in the same project?

First make sure both assets are the same version (for instance, you can't install 5.1 and 6.2 together in the same project). Then, simply import both packages into the project.